Robins Fly Away With All Three Points

Guisborough Town 0, North Shields 2 (Ebac Northern League – Division One)

Two first half goals were enough to earn North Shields a clear if somewhat uncomfortable 0-2 victory over Guisborough Town at the KGV Stadium on Saturday.

The opening half hour’s play was very even with some exciting end-to-end play during which the Priorymen more than matched their Tyneside visitors.

Guisborough came closest to taking what would have been a deserved lead when livewire Lewis Mahoney, spotting Shields ‘keeper Kyle Hayes off his line, launched an audacious dipping shot from fully 40 yards out but the back-peddling Hayes just managed to tip the ball over his crossbar for a corner.

But then two goals on the counter attack in the 32nd and 43rd minute gave North Shields a 2-0 half time lead they barely deserved.

First Gareth Bainbridge broke down the left and passed inside for teammate Lee Mason to slide home just inside the post.

And two minutes before half-time Bainbridge’s blistering pace saw him out-sprint the Guisborough defence and slot the ball past goalkeeper Jordan Nixon to give the Robins a flattering two-goal cushion at the interval.


In the second half Guisborough rallied spiritedly as they attempted to claw back a goal and three notable chances all went begging.

Winger Steve Roberts surged through the Robins’ defence but his low cross-shot went diagonally across goal and narrowly wide of the far post. It was the kind of chance that the flying wingman would normally put away nine times out of 10.

Then substitute Mason McNeill hit a superb angled shot from 12 yards out on the right but Shields keeper Hayes tipped over brilliantly. The Shields defence also had a narrow escape when from a Guisborough corner the ball ricocheted around like a pinball and the final deflection of a Shields head frustratingly for the Priorymen went straight into the grateful arms of Hayes.

The Robins also had good chances of their own and hit the post and had a goal ruled out for off-side but they contained Guisborough to preserve their two-goal lead through to the final whistle.

The defeat was tough on Guisborough in some respects but Shields took two of their chances whereas Guisborough converted none and the Robins showed just that telling extra ‘nouse’ to protect their two-goal cushion and take home all three points.

The attendance was 117.

Photo: Guisborough’s young midfield startles Lewis Maloney prepares to take on a North Shields opponent. Picture by Dan Clark.