Priorymen Hit By Goals Deluge

West Auckland Town 9, Guisborough Town 0 (EBAC Northern League – Division One)

Injury-hit Guisborough Town suffered a humiliating defeat at rain-swept West Auckland Town on Tuesday as the home side ran riot with a nine-goal deluge.

The Priorymen, buoyed by their 4-2 FA Cup win over Stockton Town on Saturday, were looking to build on that great start but they were hampered even before a ball was kicked with promising forwards Louis Goldsack and Joe Ferguson both having to pull out with illness.

And with full back Brad Mills unavailable due to his international clearance from Spain still unresolved and Jack Connor and Lee Bythway both missing, Guisborough Manager Gary Forster had dig deep into his squad.

As the rain swirled in on a dull and dismal Wanted Stadium, Guisborough got off to a fairly bright start carving some promising chances out but the final telling pass or shot just didn’t materialise.

Then with only 15 minutes on the clock, Guisborough found themselves trailing 3-0 as the big, bustling West front line clicked into gear with goals from Nathan Fisher (8 mins), Amar Purewall (10 mins and 15 mins).

That’s how it stayed to half-time and hard-pressed Guisborough must have been relieved to get to the dressing room in a bid to regroup for the second half.

But any hopes of an improbable revival evaporated within 15 minutes of the re-start as West weathered a spirited revival bid by the Priorymen and went 4-0 up on the hour mark with Fisher netting his second goal.

And to make matters worse West went 5-0 up five minutes later when Fisher headed home to complete his hat-trick.

On 71 minutes it became 6-0 as Guisborough defender Matty Lovatt made a valiant attempt to keep the ball out but ended up bundling it over his own goal-line.

West increased their lead to 7-0 in the 75th minute when substitute Ben Wood scored with a real thunderbolt of a shot from the edge of the area to demoralise Guisborough even further.

Just two minutes later it became 8-0 as Purewall became the second player to score a hat-trick on the night as Guisborough just had no answer to the rampant West Auckland forwards.

In the 84th minute West rounded off their scoring when Michael McKeown struck home a rasping shot from 20 yards out to make it 9-0.

On this showing, West Auckland – who have invested heavily in their squad during the closed season – look like being one of the title favourites. For Guisborough, they must try to ensure this crushing defeat is just a one-off freakish result.

Despite the scoreline, to their credit, they put a lot of effort into the game but it was just one of those nights when nothing seemed to go right for them. They need to re-group in the next few days and try to put this behind them when they travel to Newton Aycliffe on Saturday for their next league match.