Town Now On A ‘Wing’ And A Prayer To Stay Up

Guisborough Town 2, Shildon 4 (Northern League Division One)

A superb hat-trick from Shildon’s highly-rated young striker Lewis Wing proved the decisive difference between the two sides as Guisborough Town went down 4-2 at home to the Railwaymen at the KGV on Wednesday.

Guisborough got off to a flying start after only nine minutes when Anthony Snook, having a fine game, raced down the right and fed the ball to Steve Roberts whose angled cross shot was parried by Shildon keeper Nick Liversedge into the path of Town striker Anthony Hume who slotted home from close in.

But Guisborough’s lead lasted only until the 17th minute when Shildon were awarded what looked like a very soft penalty right on the edge of the penalty area. Up stepped Shildon left back Matty Robson who slotted home the rebound after his spot kick was magnificently pushed on to the upright by Guisborough ‘keeper Jordan Nixon.

In the 25th minute Shildon went 2-1 up when Wing scored from the corner of the penalty area with a magnificently-struck shot which flew into the far corner.

Then 10 minutes later Wing got his second goal with a similar strike from 18 yards out. The game then took a dramatic turn in the 40th minute when Shildon left back Robson – scorer of their first goal – was red-carded for pulling back Guisborough winger Steve Roberts to reduce the Railwaymen to 10 men.

However, Shildon made light of their numerical disadvantage and in the second half increased their lead to 4-1 when that man Wing – arousing strong interest from Premier League Middlesbrough – scored with another sublime shot into the far corner.

Guisborough to their credit refused to give up and pulled a goal back to 4-2 in the 71st minute when a Tom Bligh shot from the edge of the area took a wicket deflection to beat former Guisborough keeper Liversedge.

Both teams went close to adding another goal as the game was played out in a highly-competitive and sometimes over-robust fashion but Guisborough just couldn’t pull a third goal back which would have set up a nail-biting finish.

Guisborough now slip to bottom place in the table and with only seven games to play are still 10 points from safety.

After the game a rueful Guisborough Manager Gary Forster said: “Clearly Shildon as league champions are a very strong side but after we took a 1-0 lead early on and with the lads playing well we all began to think we might get something out of the game but as in previous matches we showed we just can’t seem to hang on to a lead.”

Gary chose young right back Anthony Snook as his Man of the Match after a fine overall performance, including several dashing runs down the wing.

The match attendance was 140.