Dunston Dash Priorymen’s Hopes

Dunston UTS 5, Guisborough Town 2 (Northern League Division One)

An impressive first half performance raised hopes of a Guisborough Town revival at Dunston UTS on Saturday as they went in 2-1 up at the interval.

But in a rain-swept match a strong second half revival by Dunston put a dampener on the Priorymen’s chances of mounting a realistic relegation rear-guard battle as they ultimately were well beaten 5-2.

Afterwards Guisborough Manager Gary Forster could barely contain his deep disappointment when he commented: “The final result was unbelievably disappointing after a first half in which we gave a really good account of ourselves and definitely looked the better side.

“I thought we deservedly went in 2-1 up at the interval but instead of kicking on from there in the second half we totally dropped off and allowed Dunston to take control of the game and go on to dominate the half.

“It sounds strange to say but if we had gone in maybe level at 1-1 then we may have had a different attitude in the second half but somehow whether it was a lack of confidence or what we just didn’t pick up where we had left off at the interval,” said Gary.

Looking ahead to next Wednesday’s big home clash against league champions Shildon at the KGV, Gary added: “We’ve now got a few days to prepare for that match so we will go again and give it our best.

“As long as we keep fighting like we did in the first half against Dunston, we have every chance of beating any time in the league, including Shildon,” he added.

After an end to end first 25 minutes in which both sides had good chances, Dunston finally took the lead on 27 minutes when Thear turned in the box and was fouled and Heslop fired home firmly from the spot to put his side 1-0 up.

But Guisborough hit back strongly and in the 41st minute equalised with a super goal from Louis Goldsack who collected the ball on the edge of the box and fired home into the top corner of the net.

Then in the second minute of time added on Steve Roberts swung over a free kick into the Dunston penalty area and young Ben Hugill rose high at the back post to head home to give Guisborough a 2-1 lead to take into the interval.

In the second half Dunston put Guisborough under severe pressure but it wasn’t until the 64th minute that they finally drew level with former Guisborough midfielder Chris Youldon racing into the box to pass deftly to Dunston man-of-the match Dale Burrell who shot home firmly.

On 69 minutes Dunston took a 3-2 lead when Thear raced into the Guisborough penalty area to shoot firmly home.

And just three minutes later it became 4-2 to Dunston as Richardson headed home a Thear cross. Then Burrell rounded off the scoring for the home side in the 83rd minute as he rose at the far post to head home a Slaughter free kick.

The defeat means Guisborough slip from third bottom in the table to second from bottom and although mathematically they can still pull clear of the relegation zone time and matches are running out and they are still 10 points shy of safety.

And their next game is a daunting league match against champions Shildon at the KGV on Wednesday, 15 March (KO 7.45pm).

Photo: Ben Hugill, having put Guisborough 2-1 ahead, is mobbed by his Guisborough team-mates. Pic courtesy of Yvonne Barker.