Heart-breaker For Priorymen

Seaham Red Star 4, Guisborough Town 0 (Northern League – Division One)

It sounds incredulous to say it, but Guisborough Town could count themselves very unfortunate to leave Seaham empty-handed on Saturday after dominating for lengthy periods of the play but with precious little to show for all their efforts in the end.

Guisborough Manager Gary Forster was in his own words “gutted” to see his side go down by such a wide 4-0 margin ultimately after seeing his side more than hold their own for much of the game.

The general consensus after the game by both home and away camps was that Guisborough dominated the game for around 70% of the match but frustratingly just couldn’t make the all-important break-through of a goal.

And cruelly Seaham finished strongly with a frantic burst of four goals in the last 15 minutes of the game to break Guisborough hearts.

A rueful Gary commented: “I was gutted for my players after the game as we really didn’t deserve that final scoreline. It was actually a very tight game that literally could have gone either in the last 15 minutes.

“I honestly felt that for the first 70 minutes we were the better team. We carved out three or four really good chances with some bright, inventive play.

“As the game wore on it became obvious to me that the first team to score would probably go on and win the game and so it proved after Seaham finally took the lead on 75 minutes.”

Gary added that he was very happy with the display of former prolific striker Mikey Roberts who has re-joined Guisborough on loan from Whitby Town.

He commented: “We already know what Mikey is capable of, he is a class player and was a threat all game. We took him off eventually because he tired due to his recent lack of first team play at Whitby.

“It’s a shame we have to wait a fortnight now to our next game which is against Washington, one of our main relegation rivals, and this promises to be massive for us. It is disappointing that we have such a long break to our next game and we will have to work hard to keep our fitness levels up in the meantime.

“I remain confident that we can pull through and that on our day and with a full squad available that we can give anyone a good game,” added Gary.

In the opening 15 minutes of the game Guisborough looked dangerous and they had a huge chance to go ahead when Mikey Roberts burst through but he was closed down by Seaham defenders and the chance was lost.

In the 46th minute there was a big let-off for Seaham when Town striker Ged Livingstone hit the post and Lee Bythway put the rebound over the bar.

Then four minutes later Guisborough themselves had a let-off when Bythway cleared off the line as the second half continued at a frantic pace.

As Guisborough continued to press in search of the all-important opening goal Livingstone and Gary Wood both went close but just as the Priorymen were thinking one of those chances would finally go in Seaham cruelly took the lead on 75 minutes.

And just like the proverbial saying about buses when one goal came another three came along as Seaham quadrupled their lead to 4-0 by the final whistle, a scoreline which certainly flattered them.

Frustratingly Guisborough now don’t play their next game in the league at Washington until Saturday, 4 February (KO 3pm) in what promises to be a pivotal game of the season with Washington, one of the Priorymen’s close relegation rivals.

Photo: Guisborough’s on-loan striker Mikey Roberts (centre) jumps high to get in a header which was off-target. Pic courtesy of Yvonne Barker.