Gutsy Town Hit Rock-Bottom

Guisborough Town 0, Chester-le-Street 3 (EBAC Northern League Division One)

Guisborough Town sank to the bottom of the league when they were well beaten 3-0 by fellow strugglers Chester-le-Street at the KGV on Saturday.

The under-pressure Priorymen tried their best throughout the match but just lacked any real cutting edge and penetration in attack.

In the end Chester-le-Street, who started the game as bottom club themselves, won fairly comfortably to leap-frog Guisborough and in the table and leave the Priorymen stuck at the bottom of the league for the first time in many seasons.

Without the three-point penalty they incurred recently for fielding an ineligible player, Guisborough would have remained just outside the drop zone in 19th place but a dismal run of results has seen the injury-ravaged Priorymen go into free-fall down the league table recently.

Guisborough have now suffered six straight defeats since they last won 3-1 against Washington at the KGV in early October, and they have conceded 21 goals during that unenviable run.

After the game Town Manager Steve Dowling commented: “I seem to keep saying that it’s fine margins between winning, losing or drawing as far as our recent run of matches is concerned, but that’s exactly how it is.

“Take Saturday’s game for instance – if one of our shots had gone in instead of hitting the post and if one of their players had got a red card for pulling back Dave Onions it could have been a completely different game and outcome as regards the final result.

“We are low on confidence and when fine lines like that keep going against us it inevitably affects our general play and yet on the other hand we seem to get punished for every mistake we make,” added Dowlo, who chose midfielder Gary Wood as his man of the match.

Against Chester-le-Street on Saturday, a victory and three points were vital in what effectively was a classic ‘six-pointer’ relegation battle.

The majority of the first half was a pretty even affair with both sides creating chances without really looking like scoring.

But just two minutes before the interval Chester-le-Street broke the deadlock when Dominic Laws scored to put his side 1-0 up as half-time approached.


Guisborough started the second half brightly and created several chances but were unable to get that all-important goal.

And they were made to pay for their inability to score on 67 minutes when Honour doubled Chester-le-Street’s lead to 2-0.

Despite going two down Guisborough to their credit continued to put in plenty of effort but disappointingly they were not really troubling the visitors’ goal.

Then on 79 minutes Chester-le-Street made sure of victory and a vital three points when David Surrey scored to make it 3-0 to the disappointment of Guisborough fans in a meagre crowd.

Guisborough Town: Dawson, Scott, Helm, McPhillips, Poole, Wood, Charmey, Bligh, Onions, Ardelean (sub Blake 74 mins), Cocks (sub: Roddam 63 mins).

Attendance: 91

Meanwhile, Guisborough’s next game is at home once more next Saturday, 5 November against fellow strugglers West Allotment Celtic at the KGV Stadium (KO 3pm).West Allotment are currently just one place and one point above Guisborough in the table.

Photo: Guisborough midfielder Thibault Charmey controls the ball well. Pic courtesy of Yvonne Barker.